STIRTEC – our success story as leading FSW companyFSW full-line supplier in the field of Friction Stir Welding, based in Austria, AT.
With more than 20 years’ experience in the welding technique, we are successfully guiding through the process of Friction Stir Welding and customer’s applications. Well-known on the automotive market as the FSW full line supplier, Stirtec is giving their expertise within the product development on weldability with the capability of manufacturing first prototypes over to providing most-productive solutions as FSW centers and complete production line including automation.
Highlighting our product range from smaller application sizes in the HV inverter segment to large full-EV battery trays, Stirtec offers a broad variety within their machine portfolio to fulfill customer’s requirements on high-productive manufacturing system to the fullest - in line with the highly innovative standards of FSW technology.
History – Founder Thomas Weinberger and Gunter Figner
The founders of Stirtec have been developing and expanding the knowledge within the solid-state welding technique Friction Stir Welding since their early academical studies in year 2005. As part of the research focus, Dr. Weinberger and DI Figner set up an innovative Friction Stir Welding laboratory at the Institute of Materials Science and Welding Technology on the University of Technology in Graz, Austria. Their scientific research implements the analysis on the FSW technology for different material joints and applicability for industrial use within the automotive industry. On-going from this passion for Friction Stir Welding, the company Stirtec was founded in year 2010 as a spin-off of the University of Technology in Graz with multiple patents in the development of the designated tooling, typical applications for processing and design on the sufficient machine equipment.
Relocation to enlarged factory building
- FSW engineering and development center in Kalsdorf bei Graz, AT
- Triplication of production capacity and shopfloor space
- Provision of additional space for assembly large gantry machines
- Extension of FSW machine capacity to support customer with prototype production (installation of additional gantry and vertical FSW unit)
Breakthrough patent RapidStir(R) by Stirtec GmbH
- Doubling conventional FSW welding speeds throughout innovative spindel and machine design by Stirtec GmbH
- Achievement of highest welding speeds up to 5.000mm/min for applications in the PHEV/full-EV battery segment under serial production condition
Market entry into Asian market for major automotive projectImplementation Stirtec's machine portfolio to major TIER1 supplier to support leading car manufacturer on the Asian market
Distribution of FSW turnkey system in US
- Successful installation of linked production cell including multiple FSW machinery and the requested automation in North America, US
- Leading FSW project for innovative FSW technology on die casting battery structure with inner cooling circuit
Distribution of first FSW serial machines for major automotive project
- Innovate product development within E-Mobility industry
- Successfully installation of the FSW machine equipment for serial production at Tier1 facilities in Europe
Factory extension to FSW full line supplier
- Enrollment of Stirtec machine portfolio as high-productive manufacturing systems (from smaller HV inverter housings to large full-EV battery trays)
- Additional facilities for prototype production on large battery housings
- Expansion of the customer base (OEM, TIER1, TIER2)
Company foundation: Stirtec GmbH
- Spin-Off of the university of technology in Graz for industrial use
- Product development on weldability and prototype manufacturing
- Listing Stirtec as technology partner company for OEMs within the product development and system provider for FSW
FSW industry projects at university of technology in GrazRealization of multiple innovative projects with leading companies in the industry in terms of the implementation of Friction Stir Welding